A classiclally executed minute repeater with brass, guided bridges combined with a separate German silver QP module and 5 piece enamel dial. The day is operated independently of the rest of the QP linked together via the upper pinion on the hour wheel.
Patek Philippe & Co. is a Swiss watch manufacturer located in Geneva and the Vallee de Joux. Polish watchmaker Antoni Patek started making pocket watches in 1839 in Geneva, with his fellow Czech partner Franciszek Czapek. They separated in 1844, in 1845 Patek joined with the French watchmaker Adrien Philippe. Patek Philippe & Co was founded in 1851.
This full hunter, 18k yellow gold pocket watch with enamel dial, perpetual calendar, moon phases and minute repeater was made in 1880 and sold for the first time on April 19th 1881. The calibre measures 20 ligne, approximatively 45mm in diameter. (One French ligne=2.25583mm or roughly 2¼ mm).
Hands, dial and qp module removed showing the repeating mechanism.
The movement number is stamped on to the mainplate 48389, the 4 is obscured by the 4th wheel. The movement is made from brass and then guilded to give the yellow gold effect. In the image below you see the movement removed from the case and viewed from the back. The style of design with separate bars for each wheel was synonymous with both French and Swiss watchmaking as it developed, and differentiated from English, German and American movements which had the majority of wheels covered by a single bridge or plate.
A fully detailed deconstruction is available to be downloaded here.
Watch lent for deconstruction by Somlo Antiques
To learn more on Patek Philippe click on www.patek.com