Please click on an image below
Heritage Collection (Vintage)
A Short History of Vacheron Constantin
Vacheron Constantin's history spans over 260 years; many significant developments have occurred over this period. We have provided an abbreviated view of its history, taken from their website.
For the complete version of the history click here.
17th September 1755 - A contract given by Jean-Marc Vacheron to his first apprentice provides us with the first record of the existence of a company. This date is considered the official "birth date" of the company.
1785 - Abraham Vacheron (1760-1843) son of Jean-Marc Vacheron, succeeds his father and manages to keep the company active despite the turbulent political period of the French Revolution.
1810 - Jacques Barthélémi Vacheron (1787-1864) Grandson to Jean-Marc Vacheron takes over the company and produces further complications and musical timepieces. These are exported to dignitaries abroad and further the reputation of the brand.
1819 - Jacques Barthélémi Vacheron teams up with Francois Constantin a prominent businessman and the company becomes Vacheron et Constantin (Vacheron & Constantin) Mr Constantin expands the client base.
1832 - Marks the first U.S. sales representative John Magnin based in New York.
1835 - Sales representation in Brazil and Cuba.
1839 - Georges-Auguste Leschot (1800-1884) Horological Engineer revolutionises production with the Development of the pantograph & other new tools that make it is possible to manufacture interchangeable parts.
1875 - The company has outgrown its premises and moves to a new factory located in central Geneva, these premises are later to become home to a boutique and the firm’s Heritage Department.
1880 - The company registered the Maltese Cross as its logo.
1889 - The company produces its first ladies wristwatch.
1901 - “Vacheron et Constantin” receive the Geneva Hall Mark (created in 1886), established to protect Geneva watchmakers and the fraudulent use of the Geneva name.
1912 - The Tonneau Case was introduced, the shape was innovative and popular with both male and female clients.
1914-15 - creation of the Tuyau movement, it precedes the baguette movement which permits small elaborate watches for jewellery timepieces for the ladies market.
1918-1920 - Provide the American Forces with specially commissioned pocket watches with the inscription "Corps of Engineers, U.S.A and Vacheron & Constantin Genève".
1929 - The company client list included members of high society and Royal families. A grand complication pocket watch was produced for King Fouad.
The company continues to develop iconic collections and grow.
The late 1960’s the "&" We begin to see rare models without the & on the dial (often due to lack of space on the dials of very small diameter ladies' watches).
Early 1970s The & is still very present , for example on France's prestige models (later called 1972). It tended to disappear at the end of the same decade.
1980’s The & is no longer in use, Vacheron & Constantin, has become “Vacheron Constantin” as we know it today.
For a list of all the Vacheron Models click on the link provided.
A brief explanation of the models deconstructed will is given at the beginning of the deconstruction.
To learn more about Vacheron Constantin